Tuesday 31 January 2012

Current projects

Well, I don't know where to start. I now have four projects on the go and tomorrow I have to take my daughter to town so I will leave her in a shoe shop with Dad's plastic and go off to the tackle shop and the model shop to buy some bits and pieces.

Project 1. My broken ledger rod. 
I have been getting a lot of advice and support from members of the Traditional Fisherman's Forum and I must publicly thank Paul for sending me some blank tapered tips to rebuild my rod. Paul even supplied me with new end rings; what a gent! Thanks Paul.
I need to strip the old rod down, fit the end section, paint it and whip it over with some new thread. Then fit the new end ring which is threaded to take my swing tips. Yeah!!! I know, I'm an old fashioned angler but hey ho. The rest of the rod will then need painting and I will have to work out the correct spacing for the rings and whip them all on. A coat or three of varnish should see the job done. I will post before and after photos for all of my projects. Hopefully you will notice a difference between the two.

Project 2. Loose spigot.
An old rod bought at a car boot sale has a loose spigot. In fact it just falls apart so I will be attempting to refit it. I have again been given some sterling advice from the forum members so I am more confident of success!

Project 3. My old centrepin.
I still haven't started to restore my old wood and brass centrepin reel. I think it is going to be a long winter.

Project 4. 7ft Split cane rod.
I will be leaving this project to last. I want to do a good job with this one and need to practice my whipping skills on the other rods first. Hopefully this rod will be finished before  June 16th ready for it's first outing.

Anyway, I had better go and finish my shopping list and order my threads and varnish.
Back soon!

1 comment: